Podium Sports Medicine is proud to provide unique biomechanical and physiologic services through our state-of-the-art Performance Lab. These services may be utilized individually for performance assessment, or as part of a diagnostic and treatment plan for injured patients. To take advantage of any of these services through Podium Sports Medicine, you must be an established patient of the practice. This simply means that, at a minimum, you must have a brief medical visit with our physician prior to testing.
Bike fits at Podium Sports Medicine are unlike anything you've experienced before. You may be familiar with our philosophy, but basically, we take a full assessment of your body's movement patterns before ever even setting you on your bike. We first set out to understand how you move, your limitations, and your strengths. Then, we set up your bike to best accommodate you and your goals, working within the constraints of your body and your movement patterns. To accomplish this, here are the tools we utilize:
- Functional Movement Screen - a quick test to assess 7 basic movement patterns
- MuscleSound - using ultrasound imaging, we can quantify your muscles' fuel stores to see if there is an imbalance in utilization from one side to another.
- Video analysis using Dartfish software.
- Leomo TYPE-R - motion analysis. Allows us to gather real-time data on movement and locate "dead spots" in your pedal stroke. We can even have you take these sensors out on the road and see how fatigue impacts your fit!
- Sometimes we end up debating between a couple of positions for optimal performance. One may be very aerodynamically efficient, but it may be too aggressive for the rider to hold efficiently. In these cases, we can use lactate testing to determine where you get the most "bang for your buck" when it comes to physiologic cost.
A bike fit at Podium is not like those you've had before! Make your appointment to get your fit optimized today!
VO2max and Lactate Threshold Testing
Measurement of an athlete's physiology is crucial to determining their fitness and planning how best to improve it. This was previously reserved only for elite and professional athletes, but Podium Sports Medicine brings this service to all active individuals. Whether you are training for the Olympics or just trying to lose a few pounds, your training should be as efficient as possible. We all have limited hours in our days, so learning how to optimize your training can be hugely beneficial. In our Performance Lab, you can determine how to get the best results from your training.
We offer two types of testing. "Traditional" VO2 and Lactate tests are always available, but we are now one of the few American centers offering INSCYD physiologic testing! Previously only available for professional athletes, INSCYD is more accurate and offers you information on how much fat and carbohydrate you are burning for fuel at different efforts. It gives you the information you need to perfectly tailor your training as you prepare for that next race.
By many estimates, nearly 70% of runners suffer an injury each year. Most of these injuries are "over-use" rather than traumatic, which means there is something about how they are running that leads to pain. Using video analysis and movement screening in our Performance Lab, we can evaluate your gait diagnostically or preventively. We can also advise you on your "running economy", or how to improve your efficiency while running.
Other Available Performance Lab Services
Now offering INSCYD Testing for VO2 and Lactate!
Functional Movement Screening
Spirometry (Lung Function Testing)
Measurement of Resting Metabolic Rate